Monday, June 9, 2008

GPS to San Gimignano

Our transportation today was in Oral and Christina's US manufactured, Austrian purchased, BMW SUV, which is outfitted with a GPS. Christina set the destination for San Gimignano, and off we went, with detail mapping and verbal instructions in German. We went the "back roads" which proved to be a lovely idea as we passed through numerous small Italian villages and saw some great views of the Tuscan countryside.

San Gimignano is a wonderful Medieval Tuscan hilltown with 14 of the original 72 towers still standing. Check it out at http://www.sangimignano.com/ It is a very quaint town with a lot of great medieval architecture, and far too many torture museums. (Why oh why in San Gimignana?). There was also an overabundance of tourists. I think this would be a perfect town to spend the night in order to experience ithe town after the day-trippers had left.

I had lunch of pasta with wild boar sauce, and chicken liver crostini. While both were good, they were not exceptional.

Since our car possessed the "kitty" containing the group food finances, we were responsible for finding a super market and buying groceries. We made a couple of turns not approved by the GPS, but our route was quickly recalculated. We ended up getting directions from an old Italian gentleman in a parking lot, who actually led us to the to the street where the Coop (super market) was located. We spend a good hour or more shopping for groceries which was great fun for me. The dinner menu selection fell to me with Carol's assist. So, I was the chef de Giorno again tonight. I prepared fennal and orange salad, followed by veal and chicken picatta with garlic green beans. I must say I was very please with the results, (if I am allowed a little boasting), and the meal seemed to be very well received. Carolyn Booker (Australian) perpared crepes for dessert, which were wonderful.

I will relinguish the chef's toque tomorrow and let someone else have control of the kitchen, while I sit with the others enjoying a pre-dinner glass of wine.

No comments: