Saturday, June 14, 2008

Painted Parma and Saturday In The Park.

After checking in to my very centrally located Hotel Torino, I hit the streets to find some lunch. And find it I did, (no surprise there.) At La Gatta Matta I had a delicious plate of culatello, a high quality prosciutto di Parma that is not available in the US. This was followed by tortelli, fresh ravioli stuffed with eggplant and ricotta. I won't mention the apple torte served with a calvados sauce.
Now, on to the painted part of Parma. I stopped in two churches and the Baptistry, the interiors were all covered with ornate frescos. It seemed like every square meter of space was covered. High Renaissance at its finest.
While I enjoy the art and architecture, after two weeks, I was becoming saturated and needed a break. Parma provided the perfect place to relax, Parco Ducale, a large public space across the Parma river from the Centro Storico. It was a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon and the Parmigiani were our in full force, with young boys playing football, (soccer), parents pushing strollers, older folks occupying park benches, and young kids ridings strange looking, ground hugging tricycles that are pumped instead of pedaled. It was a nice way to relax and unwind.

No comments: