Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ravenna, the city of mosaics

After my 2+ days in Bologna with limited sightseeing, I am in Ravenna with an abundant number of sites to see. Without going into a detailed history lessom, let's just say that the riches of Ravenna are a result of its political prominence during the 5th to 8th centuries. First it became the capital of the Western Roman empire when it was moved from Rome, then Ravenna became the seat of King Theodoric, of Ostrogoth fame, and finally it was the Western capital of the Byzantine empire. Each of these controlling groups added churches, monuments, and mosaics.
End of History 101.
I began my excursion with a simple late lunch of a piadina with prosciutto.. Think of a thick pita without the pocket. I then visited S. Apollinare Nuova, with wonderful moasics. Next, I paid my respects at the tomb of Dante, before stopping at the Neonian Baptistry for more mosaics, and a couple other stops before my pre-dinner rest at the hotel.
In order to bring this post to a conclusion I will spare you the details of dinner, other than to say it was molto bene !
Ciao e buona notte

No comments: